Thursday, June 7, 2012

Around The World In Eighty Days With Kiri



Hayden of The Story Girl is hosting an Around the World in 80 Days Blog Party! Be sure to stop by her blog and check it out! 


My answers to her questions:


1. Have you ever read Around the World in 80 Days, or any other books by Jules Verne? If not, do you plan to? Don't be mad at me... but I've only read an abridged version of Around the World in 80 Days. Hold on! Before you throw any rotten vegetables, this is my defense: At present, I'm reading through all of Dickens' works as well as The Scarlet Pimpernel. Jules Verne books are on my next to read list. Satisfied? 


2. It's your turn to travel around the world! But you can only visit one country on each continent (excluding Antartica). Which do you choose? One country on each continent? Dash it all! I was hoping to visit more than one! Oh, well....
Asia... Israel. And yes, that's in Asia!
Africa... I'm not too fond of Africa on the whole, but I'd have to be redundant and say Egypt. 
North America... Does visiting all fifty states count? Because someday I'd love to see them all! And fine, if it doesn't qualify... Canada. ;)
South America... Argentina. I'd love to see the Andes Mountains!
Europe... Not fair! I'd love to go on a whole European tour! England, France, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands... okay, okay, I'll pick just one: Sweden.
Australia... well, duh! Australia! One day I'll get out to the Outback!


3. What is your favorite "foreign" song? The national anthem of Canada... "Oh, Canada!" :) Or Londonderry Air... that's Irish.


4. Do you know your heritage? From which contry(s) does your family originate? I am German on my dad's side, and English on my mother's side. The result: Germish. And then there's Scandinavian, Scottish, American Indian, and a bunch of other stuff thrown in there. Yes, I am a melting pot. But mostly Germish.


5. What is your perferred method of travel? Any travel? :) *looks around* Flying!! On a dragon!! 


6. What is your favorite ethnic food? I love Italian foods... lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, and pizza!!
Who doesn't love pizza??


7. If you had to choose one literary character to travel around the world with, who would it be? One literary character? Ooh, this is hard. One of many that I'd love to travel with would be Wealthy Stanhope from the A Life of Faith: Millie Keith series. Aunt Wealthy loves adventure, and everywhere she goes, there seems to follow fun and chances to be a witness for the Lord Jesus Christ. 


8. From kilts to kimonos, most countries have some form of traditional dress- of which would you be most willing to wear? Does medieval era costume count? Because I love the long dresses from that time! But if you insist, a more modern dress... I like the traditional Swedish type dress. Something like this...
And yes, I happen to have my own Kirsten Larson doll... and I love her!
I'd wear my hair in braids every day if I could make braids that looked that neat!


9. If you could speak any foreign language, what would it be? French. Definitely. 


10. What is your opinion on the subject of hot air balloons? They're full of hot air. They make people look down on other people. They wear flamboyant and ostentatious outfits..... Okay, I'll be serious! I want to ride in one! I love being up high!


11. Okay. Pick a country, any country. Now pick a piece of classic literature (fiction, please!). If that story took place in this other country, what would be different? A country? Kiribati (island nation in the South Pacific). A classic piece of literature? David Copperfield. What would be different? Wow! A lot of things! For one, it'd be a very small world and Steerforth wouldn't have run off with Em'ly because the chances of being caught were too great!


12. Choose five of your favorite authors (or just as many as you can)...each from a different country! Just five authors! *sighs* This could be difficult....
United States: Louisa May Alcott or Mark Twain
Ireland: C. S. Lewis (What? He was from Belfast!)
England: J. R. R. Tolkien or Jane Austen
Scotland: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Robert Louis Stevenson
Hungary: Baroness Orczy (Everyone else is saying she's from there...)


13. In Around the World in 80 Days, Phileas Fogg is accused of bank robbery. Of course, we know he didn't do it- but the book never explains who did. Who do you think robbed the bank? Theodore and Amos from The Apple Dumpling Gang. Though, how they successfully managed to accomplish that is beyond me!!


14. Does your church support any foreign missionaries? If so, tell a little about what countries they are from! The church we're currently in now is fairly new and we haven't been able to support any missionaries. However, one of the churches we previously went to supported quite a few! I've got missionary friends in New Zealand, Newfoundland, and the Marshall Islands, to name a few.


15. Time is running out! You only have a few days left to finish your journey! You're on the last leg of your trip, traveling through the American West by train, when suddenly Indians attack! What do you do? Call Sir Percy!! :) Or pray for strength and courage and try to think up a cunning scheme to save the people on the train (even if it involved crawling out the train window and gallivanting on top of the car).

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I love the bit about the Apple Dumpling Gang :) I need to watch that again....

    ReplyDelete