Saturday, January 18, 2020

Top 10 Books: 2019 Edition

This year was a year of fairytale retellings for me. Not only did I publish one of my own (shameless advertising: link to Spindle Dreams on Amazon), but I read about 30 retellings in twelve months. Many of those were related to being a reviewer for Fairy Tale Central, but most were purely for pleasure's sake.

Now let's see if I can make a Top-Ten list for the books I read this year. New books, new-to-me books, re-reads, all the books; we're just grouping everything together. If you ask me tomorrow what my top 10 books were for last year, the list may not look exactly like the list below.

Interested in reading more about some of these books? I'll be including links to my full reviews on KiriBeth and FTC when available.

#10: The Curse of Gold


I don't typically read short stories, but I picked up quite a few of A.G. Marshall's shorter works as they became free throughout the year and I finally made the plunge before Christmas to read all the ones I'd picked up. Wow. They're all tiny, golden nuggets of the most unique fairytale retellings you'll ever read. I LOVED how twisted this Rumpelstiltskin story was -- easily my favorite out of the ones I read. Definitely recommend for a snowy afternoon when you're looking for something different to read alongside of your hot chocolate.

#9: The Princess and the Pea



This was my very first K.M. Shea book. And it did not disappoint. I loved the twist on the original fairytale, and that the pea was such a big part of the book! If you want to retell the Princess and the Pea, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE PEA.

#8: The Warrior Maiden



It's been a while since I've read a Melanie Dickerson book that I actually really loved. Not since Huntress, anyway. A lot of her books got into the same rut -- hero and heroine fall in love, heroine gets kidnapped, happily ever after. BUT. Mulan was so different! And she acted like Mulan. SHE FOUGHT. And she didn't get the cliched kidnapped. I think this book right here has restored my hopes in Dickerson's retellings.

#7: Only a Novel


A re-read for this year! Ahhh, still sooooo good! For anyone who wants their lives to look like a Jane Austen novel, THIS is the book to read. Sweet, well-paced, humorous, chock-full of Austen references. The best. Really.

#6: The Dragon's Flower



I said in my original review that this was probably the closest to the original fairytale retelling I've ever read. I'm not always big on Oriental-style stuff in general, but I think this book changed my mind about that. Long, but a well-worth-the-read Rapunzel story.

#5: Mechanical Heart



How shall I describe the ways I loved this book? I'm still a little speechless thinking about it. It was amazing. Rapunzel in steampunk like you've never seen her before. EPIC.


#4: King's Blood



This was a long-awaited read. There's just something Dickens-esque about this trilogy (like if you mixed it with Arabian Nights and Tolkien), and I love it to pieces. Definitely would recommend for a more mature reader, though.


#3: Bitter Winter



These last three books really are competing for top place. It's so hard to put them in a permanent line-up. Urgh. The latest book in the Ilyon Chronicles was everything I wanted it to be. And now I'm DYING for book six, Daican's Heir.

#2: The City Beyond the Glass



I LOVED THIS SO MUCH! One of my reads for FTC, and it just blew me away. Not quite twelve princesses in this 12DP retelling, but SO WORTH IT. It was super unique and ahhh!! All the lovely things. *heart eyes*

#1: Elantris



When I step back and force myself to think, I really think this was my top book for 2019. My first ever Brandon Sanderson. AND I LOVED IT. It was an epic fantasy that broke every cliche fantasy ever succumbed to. MARVELOUS. I can't wait to get my hands on more Sanderson. BECAUSE WE NEEDS MORE SANDERSON, PRECIOUS.

~*~

And that's it, folks! What were your top reads last year? Have you read any of the ten I've listed above? Let me know in the comments!

Ready to get onto finding my top ten books for 2020!

God bless!

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like an awesome list of books! *chuckles wickedly* My TBR can take some more. xDDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ashamed that The City Beyond the Glass was the ONLY one of these I've read. BUT UGH IT WAS SO GOOOOD.

    So many of these are on my TBR though! I mean FAIRY TALES. *heart eyes* I read so many fairy tale retellings this year (er...last year, still feels weird to say that) too! It was DELIGHTFUL.

    I have so many of those A.G. Marshall books on my Kindle app too! Gotta read through them!

    And, oh man, I own ALL the Kinsman Chronicle books but haven't even read the first one yet. IT IS SHAMEFUL. But I looooved her Blood of Kings trilogy, so I am ecstatic to one day get to these.

    And Bitter Winter is another I NEED to read. SOON. Sadly I don't own it...yet. BUT I NEEDS IT, PRECIOUS.

    I've also been meaning to read a Brandon Sanderson for yeeears. And have I yet? Nooo. *hangs head in shame*

    ONE DAY. One day I shall get to these things! And hearing your raving reviews of all these is making me all the more motivated. Thanks for sharing all this bookish goodness with us! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSSSHH. The City Beyond the Glass was AMAZING. I still wish it had all twelve girls in it, but it's perfection, nonetheless.

      I would definitely recommend Marshall's short stories. I was NOT expecting the end to the Swan Lake retelling. I read through a couple of them in about half an hour. They're really good, and so easy to read, even when you don't have a lot of time.

      WHAT? How can you have all the Kinsman Chronicles but not read them?!?! You'll love them. Personally, I liked this trilogy better than the Blood of Kings. I mean, they're both good, but Kinsman feels richer, deeper, I don't know. All the things.

      Delete
  3. STORMS YES SANDERSON! Just wait 'til you get to Mistborn and the Stormlight Archive. Those are even better than Elantris.

    Also, I absolutely loved The City Beyond the Glass and The Dragon's Flower! I'm hiding from Bitter Winter, though, 'cause I know it's going to hurt. And I haven't read any Dickerson in a while, but maybe I'll give her Mulan retelling a chance, since you say she gets out of her usual rut.

    Thanks for mentioning Mechanical Heart! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! I can't wait to read more Sanderson! I have several friends who've been trying to get me to read his books for years. I still can't believe it's taken this long for me to actually read one of his books!

      Hmm, yes. Bitter Winter hurts. BUT IT'S SO GOOD.

      I've been a little annoyed at Dickerson of late because of that rut, but I really feel like the Mulan retelling was much better. The Noble Servant, too, didn't seem as cliche as some of the previous books. But I think Mulan has definitely been my favorite of her latest retellings.

      Ahh, you're welcome, but it's really my pleasure! Mechanical Heart was AMAZING!!!

      Delete
  4. I think I have that first book. I should probably read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marshall's short stories I've found are really easy to read in less than ten minutes. At least, the few I read were. And all of them somehow have a super unique take on the original fairy tale. Highly recommend!

      Delete