Tuesday, August 27, 2019

If At First You Don't Succeed...

(Or What I'm Learning About Self-Publishing)


Spindle Dreams has only been out for a few weeks now -- a grand total of eighteen days, if I'm not mistaken. I was pretty stoked to release this book to Amazon and the world, considering how long I'd been working on it, and also considering how many years it'd been since I released The Rose and the Balloon. A lot of people had asked for more after reading RatB, and I was excited to give them more.

However, I have had very mixed feelings on this new release. For one thing, I've had incredibly positive feedback from the few people who've read the book. My beta readers were absolute saints to read SD on short notice and tell me what they thought. Some of my readers now gush over how much they loved it, and others tell me that they hate me and I've ruined them from reading an epilogue ever again. Both of those responses tell me that I'm doing my job as a writer correctly.

But that's the thing... only a few people have read the book. We're going on three weeks of being published and readily available to pretty much everyone in the world, and I've not sold near as many copies as I expected to. In fact, my reports tell me I've not even sold five copies of Spindle Dreams -- paperback and ebook combined. SD has five stars on Amazon since I've only gotten one text review on the story. On Goodreads, there's two reviews.

I'll be honest with you. That hurts.

Don't get me wrong -- I wasn't expecting to be a billionaire overnight with this book. I didn't expect a million 5 star reviews. It wasn't nearly that way with The Rose and the Balloon. Debut novels, however, I'm realizing do a lot better than seconds. With RatB, I sold enough copies in the first few weeks to make about $50 in royalties. That blew me away. I didn't expect to do that well with my first book, but I was hoping that I would do half as well with the second. Only I didn't.

What went wrong? I've been asking myself this question for the last three weeks. I advertised. I tried to run a fun blog party with promotion posts here on Lianne Taimenlore. I visited other people's blogs when I could. I promoted the book on my Facebook author page. I ran a countdown on both my Instagram page and my Twitter page. What more could I have done?

I'm learning that the world of being a writer and getting published is not all sunshine and daisies. Spindle Dreams hit so many snags for me that delayed its publication; I was frustrated with the book and just wanted it out and be done with it. And that, I think, was my first mistake. I didn't build enough hype about the book BEFORE getting the cover released and the actual story published. In self-publishing, a HUGE part of doing well is just how much and how effectively you market yourself. And I am a lazy marketer, to put it simply. And people don't buy a book they don't know much about.

Also, as an indie author, keeping your name front and center in people's minds is key. After publishing The Rose and the Balloon, I went three years before I got anything else into the book market. Three years. That may not seem like a long time, but for a reader, it's a long time. This is another part of marketing yourself well. Since you don't have a big publishing house pushing your name out there for the world to see, the way you keep your name hot in this market is to keep it active. The best way to do that is to publish something a few times a year. If you can't do that since you're working with bigger books, keep people excited about what you're working on by keeping active on social media. Which was something else I really didn't do. Plus, I've gone those three years with nada.

Please understand I'm not writing this post to garner sympathy or guilt-trip people into buying my books and writing reviews. I just want to be honest about what's happening to me as a writer. And I know I'm not going to be the only one who goes through things like this. My hope is that what I've learned and gone through with self-publishing can help other indie authors grow as well. Writers need to learn to accept the ups and downs of the self-publishing life. When you hit a snag, you pull yourself up by your bootstraps and try again. 

Self-publishing really is a learning process. There will be moments of extreme glory and excitement. There will also be times when you don't succeed. Just don't let those few failures keep you down.

Just try, try again. 

And that being said, I'm working on book three of the Once Upon a Twist Tales, folks. Diamond: A Rapunzel Story hopefully won't take another three years to complete.

God bless!

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you haven't had much in the way of sales! People are missing out! Because this book is a DELIGHT.

    I feel your pain on marketing though. Ugh. I feel like I spend WAY more time keeping up with blogging + social media than on my actual books, and I'm not even published! So I can only imagine the headache it is when you've got a book out. Marketing makes me tiiiired. I know it's completely necessary but...yeah. So time-consuming. Ugh.

    I love your attitude though! To just keep trying, keep making books, don't let failures keep you down. Yes, yes, yes. A reminder I think all of us creatives need since our paths are so, sooo full of ups and downs.

    AND I AM SO EXCITED TO HEAR ABOUT THE NEXT STORY COMING. *SQUEALS*

    This also reminds me that I need to move my review for SD over to GoodReads and Amazon! I ALWAYS forget to do that. Always. Ugghhhh. I have so many books I've reviewed on my blog that I forgot to also review on those places. Especially lately. July and August have been craaazy. *collapses* But I will try to do that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! Your comments always mean so much! <3

      I'll admit, I was pretty down when I first started looking at the sales reports, but God has definitely given me peace about it now. I'm really just happy I've gotten the second book out now, and I really want to use that to motivate me to keep going.

      Urgh, marketing. I was not cut out to be a marketer, ya know? But it's definitely something that I need to learn. I'm just too lazy for this kind of work. :P

      Oh, pish tosh. I mean, authors always love reviews in public places, but we understand people have busy lives. Just do it when you have time. And I know you have a *ton* on your plate right now, so no worries! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm planning on buying some copies to gift to my friends, but waiting on funds. Hang in there, it might be a slow blossoming this time. But having read both I must say I enjoyed the second book over the first, and believe the third will be just as good if not better. Keep going! Keep writing! This is your God-given gift. Keep developing it, don't rush, it's a marathon not a sprint. You want to be a Grim Dickens, you will get there, but you must pace yourself for the hard journey, nothing worthy comes quickly or easily. A righteous man falleth seven times, yet riseth up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement!! I definitely want to keep plugging away on writing, because right now the worst thing I could do is give up. It's something that I've loved for a long time, and I really think God can use it for His glory. But you're very right -- it's not something that can be rushed!

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry Kiri -- publishing takes a heck of a lot hard work and it hurts when that doesn't pay off. <3 Keep trucking. You're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much! It's true I've not seen a lot of results right now, but I'm praying to learn from this and use it to reel in some long-term rewards! ;)

      Delete
  4. i'm so sorry the marketing has been tough for spindle dreams, and the release aftermath overall, but thank you for the post + the encouragement! for some reason it's the golden stories that get hidden, but like you said, just try, try again. *encouraging fistbumps*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fistbumps back* Thanks for your comment! I know I'm not going to be the only author who struggles with this, so I'd just love to be an encouragement to them -- and possibly a help so they don't make the same mistakes I did!

      Delete
  5. Yeeeeeah, that three-year gap DEFINITELY hurt you, and if I'd realized that you were going to go that long, I would have DEFINITELY have advised you to hold onto RatB until you knew you had something ready to follow with it. (Indeed, I honestly thought that you were going to use it to hype up TSotHT, which I'm still waiting for eagerly.)

    That said, it's my firm philosophy that with determination and effort, you can overcome any misstep in your career (I mean, I've moooostly overcome Sew's plethora of mistakes). Just keep moving forward, and don't let there be a gap like that again.

    I do need to buy the book. I haven't yet 'cause I'm trying to decide if I want to get it and RatB in paperback for Bookstagram.

    Also, what are my chances of getting to hype Twelfth Kingdom for you next year? Just saying, but I think some mob promotion might really help you out, and you're DEFINITELY stronger with your longer works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, using RatB to hype Hazel Tree *was* my plan. I just didn't expect the next few years to end up like they did, what with getting married and then giving birth. :P I'll tell you what, being wife and mommy keep you busy! But yes, the three year silence was NOT a good thing. And these early mistakes, I'm hoping, are just going to be learning experiences. I mean, now I'm learning what to do/what not to do with the next books.

      Ha. I have to agree with you there. I definitely feel stronger with my longer works. At this point, I don't think I'm going to have TK done for publication soon since it's still only about halfway written (or more, I hope). I think I'm going to try to use NaNo this year (and recovering from birth again) to try to get it finished, but we'll see. Yes, mob promotion is SUCH a help.

      My goal right now is to get Diamond done and published next year. And then I really want to focus on editing and querying for Hazel Tree.

      Delete