Saturday, August 3, 2019

Character Spotlight: Marita Kadlec


Since Felix got some time in the sun yesterday, it's only fair that Marita take the spotlight today.


Marita Kadlec


Ah, and who is this Marita, you ask? I'm so glad you're curious. Allow me to give you an archived set of questions from Cait's blog, shamelessly borrowed from the no-longer-live linkup, Beautiful People. Here, we will discover more (or less) about this mysterious Marita -- who, somehow, has not been properly introduced before now on my blog.

~*~

1. What’s their favourite food? (Bonus: favourite flavour of chocolate!)


Her grandmother's stew. Hearty and thick and filling and savory, it's just the thing Marita craves on cold nights. Now, chocolate? She definitely seems like a dark chocolate kind of girl. Dark, but still rich and a little sweet.

2. What do they absolutely hate?


Spinning. Marita's convinced the spindle hates her, because no matter how careful she is, she's always pricking her finger and staining her aprons with the blood. There are only so many scars one can put on a fingertip. However, being the only daughter of a spinner, she's expected to take up the family business.

3. What do they enjoy learning about?


She enjoys tinkering and inventing, and she's very curious to figure out how things work and why they work the way they do. She wants to know how she can make things work better.

4. Who is the most influential person in their life?


Probably her grandmother. Inga Kadlec isn't in the best of health, but she's been around basically since Marita was born. With her father away at the gambling tables so often, Marita has learned to rely on her grandmother for advice and friendship. The two of them became very close after an accident killed Marita's mother.

5. What is their childhood fear?


Failing and never earning recognition for what she wanted to do. Even at a young age, Marita was interested in tinkering, but continual failure at her projects made them impractical child's play in her father's eyes.

6. What is something they have always secretly dreamed of doing, but thought impossible?


Marita obviously wants to invent useful things, but she struggles with perfecting her inventions in the eyes of others. Her main goal right now is to complete a mechanical spinning wheel that will take over her spinning for her for the rest of her life. After that? Who knows?

7. What is something he is impractically afraid of?


People's expectations and thoughts about her and what she does.

8. Are they a night owl or morning person?


Definitely a night owl. Mornings do not agree with her at all. She'd rather sleep in as much as she can.

9. Do they say everything that pops into their head, or leave a lot unsaid?


She probably leaves more unsaid than not. She's not a stranger to talking, but she's just not used to opening up deeply to people to let them know what's really on her heart. After being brushed aside by her father so many times, she does have difficulty with trusting people -- especially on a personal level.

~*~

And there we have it! For me, Marita was one of those characters who I had to get to know through writing her and following her around. Part of me expected her to be more hot-headed like Janelle had been in The Rose and the Balloon, but as her character came through the story, she was oddly calm. But reserved. Not so much as Disney's Aurora, however. I feel Marita has a little bit more backbone than that. At least, I hope she does.

One thing that I had fun with diving into her character was trying to find ways to keep her from sleeping. Sleeping Beauty is renowned for her 100 years of sleep, and I thought it would be fun to twist up the story and keep my Beauty awake. That was easier said than done, for Marita dearly loves her sleep -- much as Elizabeth Bennet dearly loves to laugh.

Important links to remember today:



God bless!

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore her love for sleeping. It was so relatable! XD SHE is relatable in general. Her struggles of wanting to perfect everything, and fears of people's expectations really touched. She was so DEEP. I just loved her! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marita's a character after my own heart. I can only blame her nocturnal habits on myself.

      Awwww, I'm so happy to hear that! It's difficult to get deep characters in such a short work, and I'm super happy you loved her!

      Delete
  2. I love your twist on Sleeping Beauty! And that snippet, brilliant. xD It was fun to learn about Marita, I'm excited for your novella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :D I had a lot of fun working on this story, so I'm very excited to share it with everyone!

      Delete
  3. All well and good, but I'm still waiting for Samson to get his spotlight ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!! I actually thought about giving Samson a spotlight, but figured since he stole so much attention in the book, he'd be fine to sit back a little in these posts. I won't apologize on the fact that he's still my favorite character. XD

      Delete