Wednesday, November 20, 2013

MEC Day 20: Scariest Moment

"Sauron has yet to release his deadliest servant, the one who will lead Mordor's armies in war, the one they say no living man can kill... the Witch King of Angmar!"


I was about eleven the first time I saw the LOTR films, and having just read the books and not totally understanding them, I don't know that I quite understood what I was getting myself into. I sat in suspense watching all three movies, but I think the single most (if it indeed could be called this) scariest moment for me was watching Eowyn battling the Witch King.





Witch King: (to his steed, referring to Theoden) Feast on his flesh.

Eowyn: I will kill you if you touch him.

Witch King: Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey.

Sure, I'd read the books, and I knew that she'd get out of it okay and marry Faramir and live happily ever after, but who remembers that kind of thing when they're watching the movie? All I could think about was how Theoden was dying, and for one fleeting moment, I forgot what Tolkien wrote, and envisioned a horrible end for Eowyn. Thankfully, Merry was there, and provided enough distraction so that Eowyn came out triumphant from the duel.



But the Witch King was a formidable foe. First, Eowyn kills the fell beast, which is rather fearsome, in its own right, and then she has to face the Witch King of Angmar with his cruel-looking mace. 

Witch King: You fool, no man can kill me. Die now.

(Merry stabs the Witch King from behind and causes him to stumble back; Eowyn takes off her helm, and her hair tumbles down her shoulder)

Eowyn: I am no man.



For more details about the 30 Day Middle-Earth Challenge, please visit here!

Namarie!

1 comment:

  1. That is a frightening scene, but I think it's one of my favorites too.

    -Bethany
    cleverbunnies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete