Friday, December 13, 2019

How NaNo Went

I'm not really sure what I was thinking this year. For four years, I ignored NaNo in order to complete my college studies. I missed it desperately, but there was absolutely no time to write 50K between homework assignments.

Once I graduated, I thought: Certainly, now I'll have more free time to write. And last year, that was more or less true. As a mother of a seven-month-old, I still had quite a bit distracting me, but my daughter was old enough where she could sit by herself and play while mommy wrote.

THIS YEAR. HOWEVER. My daughter is now one and a half years old, running everywhere, getting into everything, etc. etc. And then we also threw in a newborn on top of that. I was so happy our son arrived early (especially considering my wish to NOT give birth during NaNo), and since he would mostly sleep the first few weeks of his life NaNo would be a cinch, right?

Ha. No.

Let's just say newborns and NaNo really don't mix. There was VERY little sleep involved. I'm a stubborn, crazy idiot who thought she could write 50K while nursing a newborn and keeping up with a rambunctious 18 month old.

Oh yeah -- and get this. A week into the month, my husband started experiencing horrific stomach pain and had to go to the ER for emergency appendix surgery. I'm an extremely emotional person when it comes to the people I love, so the day of his surgery I wrote a grand total of 145 words. *shakes head* That kind of stress I don't handle well.

Thus, it was not an auspicious start to this NaNo. I was behind for most of the month, by about 6,000 words or so. There were days when it felt like I was pulling teeth to get even 500 words out, and all I wanted to do was to go to bed.

I did mention I was stubborn, right? In spite of everything, I didn't want to quit. How in the world could I call myself a decent writer if I didn't even TRY? I was NOT quitting. I ended up doing most of my writing between 10pm and midnight, which was when both of my kids were asleep. Thankfully, my husband was typically doing homework about the same time, so it was nice to have a buddy to work alongside of.

And then on November 29th, I finished my 50K.


After so much stress about writing, it was glorious to finish a whole day early. I'm still a little in shock that I finished.

My advice to those writing mommies out there: NaNo with a newborn really isn't the greatest idea. Unless you're way better with managing your time and making schedules than I am.

But how about the story?

I was working on The Twelfth Kingdom, one of my 12DP retellings. Initially, I began the month with 120K already written on the tale, and the 50K allowed it to grow up to 170K.

And it's still not finished.

My goal originally was to have the first draft of this story completed by Christmas. I doubt at this point that'll happen. So, right now, I'll be so happy if I can finish the book by the end of January. And hopefully wrap it up in NO MORE than 200,000 words. Secret of the Hazel Tree ended at 198K on the first draft, and I would be so happy to finish this book in fewer words.

Ha. We'll see.

But snippets, shall we? I don't think it's fair to drag you through the entire month of NaNo with me and not share a few snippets. Since it's closing in on the end of the book, much of what I wrote would be spoilers, so I'm afraid I have to be extremely picky when sharing these.

~*~

“But what about the shoes?” Bethjasmine asked. She had yet to wear out a pair, but Josette knew their governess’s tirade with the tattered slippers that morning had left a marked impression. “If we keep dancing, they’ll keep wearing out.” 

This time, no one wanted to bring up the option of dancing barefoot. As thin as the slippers themselves were, they were still a necessity when dancing underground. 

“Let them wear out,” Laris grumbled. “The king will keep paying for new ones, since we’ve got to have them. Rancune will be stumped that we’re improving. And Severamer can have a fit when she can’t figure out what’s going on. All of that makes me pretty happy.” 

Issie continued to hug her shawl. “That sounds awfully rebellious to me.” 

Aleevity shook her head. “Well, I never considered myself a rebel, but if this is what it takes to become one, I’m for it.” She caught the look in Nattalaris’s eyes and snapped on it. “And don’t you dare say anything about me agreeing with you. I promise you, it won’t happen again.” 

~*~

A movement of something dark caught the corner of his eye, and he looked towards it. “More coming in that direction, m’lord.” 

Waedan didn’t turn, but tossed his eyeglass at Tarren. “Tell me how many.” 

Tarren accepted the instrument. “It looks like another three regiments or so. Probably close to… Waedan!” The words caught in his throat as the eyeglass exposed the newest threat against Fort Kalt. “They’ve got ladders!” 

Waedan grabbed the eyeglass back. “Pere save us,” he breathed, looking at the black-garbed teams carrying the ladders through the snow. “They mean to breach us.”

~*~

At length, they went over a bump larger than normal, and Tarren nearly cried out as the wagon crashed down on the opposite side. 

“Wait! Stop the horses, A!” Roughly, he grabbed the side of the wagonbed with his left hand. “I’m walking for a bit.” He tumbled out a bit ungracefully, but thankfully didn’t embarrass himself by faceplanting on the road. 

Q leaped out behind him, wincing and rubbing his seat. “Coming with you, friend. I don’t think a body can manage much more of that.” He frowned up at A. “Are you deliberately driving over the biggest rocks and bumps?” 

A scowled from the driver’s seat. “Of course not! You two just have soft bottoms; that’s all. You’d think the time we spent at the fort would have toughened you up some.” 

Q only shook his head. “I still think you should have let me drive.” 

A’s hands tightened on the reins. “You always want to do everything!” 

“That’s because I do it right.” 

“I’m doing fine!” A retorted hotly. “I haven’t driven off a cliff like you said I would.”

“Yet!” 

~*~

Tarren felt his eyebrows lift in surprise. “You don’t approve?” 

“Of the king’s behavior?” Oberran growled. “No, and no. Now mind, he’s my cousin, so I’m allowed to say what I want about him. You keep your tongues clean. But blast the man for a perfect idiot. He’s shown little sense in that situation or in any since.” 

~*~

A declared he didn’t care what the duke called him; he was just interested in trying the Cathair feast. “I’ll go as a pig herder if that’ll get me to the dining table,” he said honestly. 

~*~

Josette tried to come to her sister’s aid. “It wouldn’t be proper, Prince Austuce. She’s…” 

“No, forget proper,” Laris snarled. “I’m not afraid of stepping out of propriety, but I might hurt the poor runt! And what would your honored father say if I drew blood on the lord of the Lower Home?” 

“My honored father,” he replied evenly, “was the one who suggested it.” 

Laris’s fingers tightened around the sword hilt. “Then I’ll meet you in the courtyard.” 

~*~

God bless!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing! That's quite a feat.

    And those snippets sound most promising. ;) Hope your husband is recovering well! Appendicitis stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GIRL. You are my HERO. 50k words with a newborn, an 18 month old, and a husband who had surgery??? I CAN'T EVEN WITH YOUR AMAZINGNESS. Soooo many congrats on hitting 50k!!!!!

    AND SNIPPETS. YESSSS.

    Oh my goodness, I just cannot wait for this novel. I mean, a 12DP retelling by my own Kiri. I NEED IT, PRECIOUS. The snippets were a delight! You characters are always so ALIVE. The wagon ride one had me giggling.

    “I haven’t driven off a cliff like you said I would.”
    “Yet!”

    Lololol. Love it!

    Congrats again! You are a true inspiration! <3

    ReplyDelete