Monday, December 30, 2019

December 2019 Book Haul

Well, here we are, folks! It's the end of the year already, and I'm absolutely flabbergasted that 2019 is OVER. Where have the last twelve months gone?? Somehow, it just feels like we were celebrating New Years' and Easter, and now we're about ready to welcome 2020. SO MUCH has happened this year, and it's nuts, but I'm not going to harp on all that right now. 

Because right now is Book Haul time. Believe it or not, I only got one book for Christmas: C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy in one volume (from my awesome hubby -- I've been wanting to read that for so long!!). And sadly, I don't have a picture of it. All of the pictured books below were ones that I collected before Christmas. Enjoy!


Emily of New Moon // Emily Climbs // Emily's Quest // L.M. Montgomery -- The last few years have re-awoken my interest in Montgomery's novels. It was super exciting to find a box set of the Emily trilogy since I've yet to read any of the Emily books. 

Minuk: Ashes in the Pathway (Girls of Many Lands) // Kirkpatrick Hill -- I remember reading a few of these books growing up. Girls of Many Lands was a spin-off historical series that American Girls put out way back in the day. I seriously cannot remember if I've ever read Minuk or not, though.

Unlocking the Spell (Wide-Awake Princess, #2) // E.D. Baker -- The first fairytale retelling in this giant pile! I'm a bit disappointed I didn't find the first book in this series, but maybe I'll read them out of order. Don't judge. I believe this book is based on Snow White and Rose Red. 

Bella at Midnight // Diane Stanley -- Another fairytale retelling! This is a Cinderella one that I've yet to read. 

Enchanted (Woodcutter Sisters, #1) // Alethea Kontis -- Fairytale retelling #3 which is based on the Frog Prince. I haven't read this one yet, either. *le gasp* So many retellings, and so little time. 

Fairest Son // H.S.J. Williams -- AT LAST! I've been looking forward to this gender-swapped Snow White story since FOREVER. I can't believe I haven't gotten my hands on it until now. 

With Blossoms Gold // Hayden Wand -- Fairytale retelling #5 and probably one of THE BEST Rapunzel stories you'll ever read. IT IS AMAZING.

The Healer's Apprentice // The Captive Maiden (Haigenheim, #1 and #4) // Melanie Dickerson -- Sensing a theme here? Retelling count up to seven now for this month. I read both of these forever ago, but I don't remember them all that well. And I actually have very few Dickerson retellings, so I was happy to include these to Huntress and Fairest Beauty to make my Dickerson collection add up to four books total. 

Landon Snow and the Auctor's Riddle (Landon Snow, #1) // R.K. Mortenson -- This book looked so fun. Landon gets swallowed by a book. LITERALLY. HOW COOL IS THAT?

Once On This Island (Mackinac Island Trilogy, #1) // Gloria Whelan -- I loved this trilogy growing up!! I'm a Michigan girl at heart. 

Because colorful books -- why not a rainbow?

The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4) // Kathryn Lasky -- Slowly adding to my Ga'Hoole books. Some day I'll actually read this series. 

Pippi Longstocking // Astrid Lindgren -- Another childhood favorite. I can't believe I hadn't picked up a copy of this until now. 

The Family Under the Bridge // Natalie Savage Carlson -- I haven't read this, but it looked like such a cute story! It's about an older man who makes a family with a bunch of homeless kids. 

Shakespeare's Scribe (The Shakespeare Stealer, #2) // Gary L. Blackwood -- I really enjoyed the first book, so of course I'd jump on the second when I found it! 

Wishing Well (The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, #3) // Jason Lethcoe -- This is another series that I'd never heard of, but the books just looked fun. Yeah, so now I have book #3, but not #1 or #2. #bookproblems

North by Northanger: Or the Shades of Pemberley (Mr. and Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #3) // Carrie Bebris -- I don't think I've read any Austen fanfiction/other authors' continuations. But this one looked interesting, so I thought I'd give it a go. 

Shield: A Prequel to Medallion // Dawn L. Watkins -- Super excited about this one! A childhood favorite by one of my college professors! 

Mik-Shrok (Adventures of an Arctic Missionary, #1) // Gloria Repp -- Ever since I first read this trilogy, I've loved huskies and wanted so badly to visit Alaska. I love these books SO MUCH. 

King's War // Jill Williamson -- I CAN FINALLY FINISH THIS SERIES! I've been dying since this summer to know how it ended once I read King's Blood

Bitter Winter // Jaye L. Knight -- When one makes a Christmas order and needs some extra $$ to get the free shipping from Amazon (yes, I don't have Prime), you get the next Ilyon Chronicles book. #noregrets I seriously cannot wait for the final book in this series to come out, Daican's Heir

~*~

What books did you add to your shelves this month? Any literary Christmas gifts? I'd love to know! Share in the comments below! 

God bless!

8 comments:

  1. What a fun haul! So happy.

    Bella at Midnight is WONDERFUL. That book came to me at the right time (last year, I think?) and I loved it. :)

    So many other great ones here, too! Happy reading. ;) And Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New books are always so happy. :D :D

      So glad you enjoyed Bella at Midnight! I'm looking forward to getting into it sometime soon!

      Delete
  2. *sees With Blossoms Gold* *blushes*

    oh, I read the first ED Baker book years ago and liked it, but I've never gotten around to reading #2! If I remember correctly, book #1 is definitely worth reading, though.

    Also I have NEVER read Pippi Longstocking...maybe that's a kid's classic I should try to read this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sees your comment* *blushes* 'Bout time I got the paperback of YOUR AMAZING STORY.

      Ahh, Pippi is so much fun! Definitely a kid's book, but I still enjoy her adventures now. We loved her so much growing up that one of my sisters dressed up as Pippi for one of our family's costume parties.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to see all the books you've been reading! ~ Re: MIK-SHROK . . . One day when I was researching missionary work in Alaska, I found some accounts that described the amazing exploits of huskies. I began wondering what it would be like to work with a small husky that no one wanted--and that's how I started down the trail that led to writing MIK-SHROK. Mikki became dear to me, and his courage still inspires me to keep on, even in the midst of storms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! The Mik-Shrok trilogy was probably the first missionary story I read as a child, and it was definitely a family favorite. My siblings and I would often ask our parents for a husky dog of our own to name Mikki. Huskies truly are amazing dogs, and it's so cool to think how God specially designed them to do what they do!

      Delete
  4. So many good books! Love Fairest Son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many people RAVE about Fairest Son, and I'm super excited to finally read it!!

      Delete