Thursday, September 5, 2019

Diamond: Info and Snippets

I am happy to report that we're plugging right along on Diamond! I've been excited about this book for a while, and I know there are plenty of mad readers out there who want this book after reading the epilogue to Spindle Dreams. Have no fear! It's coming!

Eventually.

I'm not 100% sure about my publishing timeline, as much depends on how giving birth to and surviving the newborn months with baby #2 goes. Also, how much trouble the formatting and cover give me. *le blech* But I would love to have Diamond available by next summer, next spring if we can swing it. I just can't make any promises yet. I was ambitious enough to promise Spindle Dreams last fall, and we all see how THAT turned out.

But since we just hit 14K yesterday, and it looks like I'll be keeping this book under a cozy 25K (I hope I didn't just jinx myself with that), I thought I'd hop onto dear old blogger and share some of the story with you all!


This cover is mere inspiration, not the final cover, as I don't hold the copyright for the background photo (please notice the watermark/name in the corner). 

Diamond is book three in my Once Upon a Twist Tales. These are interconnected fairytales retold backwards and upside-down with just a bit of steampunk thrown in for fun. They were intended to be standalone novellas, but Spindle Dreams kinda connected itself to Diamond, so they're not completely standalone anymore.

When considering the fairytale Rapunzel, the first thing I decided that must be backwards was the tower situation. Rapunzel wasn't going to be the one hiding in a tower. Oh, she'd be the usual confined and hidden from the world, but not in the tower. And from there, the story kinda catapulted on its own into what I've now got saved in my rough drafts.

The second most important thing to consider was her hair. I'll admit, I struggled with this for a really long time, and this was mainly what kept me from working on the book for a number of months. I just couldn't figure out why she had long hair. I didn't want to backwards that too much and give her short hair, because that felt like a bad, cop-out Rapunzel. If we're talking Rapunzel, she MUST have long hair and, likewise, have a reason for that long hair. That's the #1 issue with Rapunzel retellings. THE HAIR. And I'll be honest with you, folks. The hair ain't easy. I won't spoil what I settled on for Diamond, but I'm hoping readers will appreciate the hair and the reason.

One sentence summary of Diamond:

This time, Rapunzel isn't the one stuck in the tower, but his secrets may cost her her life. 


Snippet time! Enjoy!

Mother had said many strange things over the years, but when she came home with the news that she’d been framed for murder, that was new for Diamond.

~*~

Erland bowed. “I thank you again, and state to you a good night.” 

As he left the study, a grimace took over his face. The Rohesian language was not easy to master, and doubtless that had been the cause of the countries’ lasting tensions over the last few decades. Not anymore. The rolled parchments he now clutched in his hands were the key to solving all the international difficulties – or causing a hundred more. 

~*~

“Another bowl of pudding, my good man?” 

Seth rubbed his stomach and gave a rueful smile. After the thick cheese sandwiches, roasted vegetables, and first bowl of pudding, he doubted he could fit anything more. “No, I thank you. My stomach eats more than I can hold. Your wife is a wonderful cook.” 

The innkeeper beamed. “Of course, she is. You tell those fellows back in Trothen you never had a better cheese sandwich, you hear? It’s a shame you were the only man here tonight sensible enough to ask for them.” 

Seth saluted him and stumbled off the bench. “It will be the honor of mine. I will tell them of all.” The cheese sandwich definitely held its own proudly in the world of cuisine. 

~*~

At first, Diamond couldn’t make out what it was – Maybe a bear? – but as she moved closer, the hump began to look more and more like a human being. 

It wasn’t until she was almost standing next to it that she realized it was a human. Other than Mother, she’d never seen another human before in her life. With a tremble, she now looked upon her first stranger. It was definitely human, but the shoulders and chest were broader than hers or Mother’s. The head looked pretty normal, except for an extra pair of eyes that seemed to be made of glass sitting on the very top, looking out from black hair that was cut short at the neck. Instead of a skirt, the figure wore trousers that clung tightly to the legs, and a thick tunic that almost touched the knees. Little, dark hairs decorated the chin, and Diamond drew a deep breath. 

This isn’t a woman. 

A man. 


~*~

“Rapunzel,” he called once the trapdoor had opened and her head was in view, “I want to demonstrate to you something.” 

Old fascinations took on new enjoyment when you could show them off to people who’d never seen them before. He made a few colorful smoke bombs and watched her face. 

At the first one, she stepped back. “What kind of magic is that?” 

“Not magic,” he said, the response slipping easily from his mouth. “It’s alchemy.” 

She came closer. “What?” 

“I use different elements and transform them into something else. For example…” He showed her the two tubes he was using. “These two liquids, when combined, evaporate into a smoke.” The cloud he made nearly blocked her from view. 

~*~

God bless!

2 comments:

  1. *SQUEEEEAAALLLSSSS*
    THIS
    MAKES
    ME
    SO
    HAPPYYY!!!!!!

    I CANNOT WAIT! And oh man, those snippets! So very delicious and enticing! This is gonna be amaziiiiiiing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEP! Your excitement is getting me all excited! :D :D

      Delete