Tuesday, July 31, 2012

This Is Me...



Okay, fine... that's not really me. It's my center of operations: my desk. Well, that's not exactly true either. It's my brother's desk, but he is very kindly letting me use it for the summer while he's not doing school (and yes, that's a sewing machine behind my laptop... I sew and write all at the same place). 

But this is what I'm doing: RESEARCH! I'm working very hard on the big magic post, and decided I'd let you all in on how everything is going. It's going... slowly. But going! This is a rather large project for me, and it's quickly getting bigger by the minute. I cannot tell you how much prayer I'm dedicating to this study. 


You see, to contrast the magic in Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, I found it necessary to get right down to the core and get into the study of magic (yeah, I get funny looks when I tell people I'm studying magic...). 


I'm the type of person that, when I'm studying, I like to have hard copies of my resources and have everything out where I can see it all at once. As you can see, I've labeled with letters everything in the picture above so that I may be able to tell you what everything is (I used letters rather than numbers because five and six don't work on my keyboard, and I didn't feel like copying and pasting them). 


A. My most important resource: My trusty, KJV Bible. And yes, it's falling apart from avid use.


B. My dad's NAS study Bible, to compare translations.


C. Harry Potter, Narnia, and The Lord of the Rings by Richard Abanes. 


D. My clipboard full of notes.


E. Companion to Narnia by Paul F. Ford.


F. The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien. This is like the prequel to both LOTR and The Hobbit, depicting what occurred before Sauron settled in Mordor and more.


G. Printed notes written by David A. Padfield. He did a survey of the minor prophets and I find myself referring back to his study on Canaanite superstitions and the passage concerning magic in Deuteronomy 18.


H. American Dictionary of the English Language by Noah Webster, for all the long, hard core definitions.


I. Scholastic Children's Dictionary, for simple definitions.


J. The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis, all seven Narnia books wrapped up into one volume. Quite spiffy.


K. The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. Tolkien included a h.u.g.e concordance in the end of The Return of the King and I find it most intriguing.


L. Last, but not least, my laptop, complete with 7 broken keys and access to the internet, from which I have read numerous articles to aid in my study. 


So, anywho, that's me right now......


................ *crickets* ......................


How's your day going? :)



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the peek into your study nook, Kiri! I am eagerly looking forward to your magic post (I think I may have told you this already, LOL!) Many people think there is no difference in reading Harry Potter and in reading Lord of the Rings. I beg to differ. Can't wait to hear your take on the subject, especially in light of how much study you are putting into it!

    As far as how my day is going, it has gone pretty well. A day spent shopping in town with my mother, in the heat ): is now over, and we have a birthday dinner for one of my sisters tonight.

    ReplyDelete