Saturday, May 17, 2014

Writing Plans

I think it's time I'm honest with you all...


I had fully intended to edit, polish, and publish Children of a Legend sometime this summer/fall, but as 2014 slips away, I don't think that's happening. For me, the story that begins in CoaL is just that -- the beginning. It's the first in a series (hopefully only a trilogy) and the story is one and the same to me even though its path is divided into three books. That's The Dragon Tamer. I still am not entirely sure how the whole story is going to play out. Don't get me wrong, I know my main plot points and all the scenes I'm dying to write, but exactly *how* everything comes about... well, you never really know how that's going to be until you actually get to it. 

What I'm trying to say is that I'm having a hard time reconciling myself to writing a part, publishing a part, writing another part, publishing another part, etc. For me, it never was three separate books but one story as a whole. I can't publish even the first part until I know the last part. *shrugs* Sorry, guys. 

{Experimental, promotional whatever cover...}

Since May 1st, I've been working on book two (Rebirth of a Legend), and I've penned about 17,000 words so far this month, bringing the entire novel up to just over 63,000 words. I'm excited that it's been going so well, and I'm having loads of fun! For one thing, RoaL includes all of the main and minor characters of CoaL, and introduces a bunch of new ones. While in CoaL, I wrote mostly from Davin's POV with a few chapters going to Lord Vernd or one of his croonies, I'm finding RoaL to be a lot more complicated. In order to follow the entire story, Davin's POV isn't enough, and I'm currently following about four different people and their POVs as the chapters progress. It's great fun. *grins*


In the meantime, as bizarre as this sounds, I think Secret of the Hazel Tree is the closest to being published out of any of my stories. Truthfully, it's the only *complete* story among any of my works. I had thought on April 30th when I finished writing it, that it would sit for a few months, and then I'd edit it, run it through a passel of beta-readers, and then hopefully publish it sometime 2015/2016. Yet.. reading over it, it doesn't seem to have as many problems as I thought it had, and the few people I've let read it have loved it. Obviously, it's not perfect, but I'm hoping that the problems can be fixed within a decent amount of time.

What am I saying now? I'm asking you to pray for me. I'm considering trying to self-publish Secret of the Hazel Tree this year. Yes, this year, as in 2014. I'm not positive it will happen, but I'm content to know the timing is all in God's hands. I am planning on my first year at college this fall, so any book releases will have to go around that somehow, and I'm not sure how that's all going to go. It's odd -- I already have the entire release party for SotHT planned, and the book's not ready yet. :D

So, please pray for me as I start this endeavor. Also... a question: From what you know of SotHT, would *you* be interested in reading it and helping me promote it this year?

God bless!

8 comments:

  1. I'll be honest, too. I'm a little disappoint to hear CoaL might not be published for a while, because I LOVE this story and I can't wait to see it out there. BUT I'm proud of you, and absolutely, completely understand. There's a reason I've never really attempted trying to get published yet. Well, for one I don't think I have anything ready for that. But, two, none of my books are stand alones. They're always part of a series, and I can't imagine having something out there, set in stone, when I haven't written the other parts yet. It's terrifying. What if I want to change something? What if something is inconsistent? It's a very scary thought. So all that to say, I know EXACTLY where you're coming from, and I'm proud of you for making this decision.

    But let me also say that I am ridiculously excited to hear RoaL is coming along. I'm nearing the end of CoaL and already looking forward to the next one. Plus, different POVs are always fun! :D

    Now, as far as SofHT, I've been in love with this story since you first mentioned it. I love, love, love the story of Cinderella, and I love your writing, so putting them together? YES PLEASE. I think it's amazing you're considering self-publishing it this year. That would be SUPERB. To answer your questions: YES!!! Of course I want to read it and I would loooove to help promote it! :D :D :D

    And one more thing. You're starting college in the fall? :O Wow! That's awesome!

    I'll definitely be praying for you in all your decisions. I know you'll embrace God's will, and I know whatever it is, it'll be fabulous! ^_^

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging comment, Lauri!

      I know!! That's exactly how I feel! Set in stone is just so... final. What if something does change? While working on RoaL, I've already been going back and putting minor changes in CoaL. I can't publish something and then decide it's wrong a few months after it go public. *sigh*

      Yes... college! I'm rather excited as I know this is what God wants for me, but I'm a little scared as I've never done this sort of thing before. *nervous grin* Actually, that's one thing that's pushing me toward publishing this year. A little extra cash from book sales wouldn't go amiss with college ahead of me.

      Delete
  2. I hope all your writing plans work out well, Kiri Liz! I know God has great plans for you:) And congratulations on college! As for SotHT, YES I would love to read it! I don't know how much promoting I could do, though, since I don't have a terrible large sphere of influence;) Also, I wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for an award that I feel pretty confident you'll like over on my blogXD God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I would love to see CoaL published in the near future, waiting is probably the best idea. I know that my biggest writing regret is that I hadn't written more than snippets and a few false starts of Take when I published Sew - I didn't even know that Arthur existed until the winter afterwards! If I had a dollar for every time I have to go back and come up with a really weird explanation for a plot twist that I want to do ...

    Good luck with college. I personally do not feel like that is where God wants me, but if you're called there, good luck. Break a leg. I'll certainly keep you in my prayers.

    If you decide to publish SotHT, I'm willing to help you with the promotion and anything else you need help with. I'm not sure editing would be something I can help you with - my schedule for the near and not too distant future is crazy, and after reading the first half of CoaL, I don't think my editing style is what your writing needs. But anything else, I'd love to help you with! It sounds like a very interesting book. I've said before that a Cinderella retelling needs to be very interesting sounding for me to pick it up, and while a murder mystery might not convince me under normal circumstances, combined with your writing, I'm willing to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, exciting stuff! I admire you for putting CoaL on hold--many authors, I'm sure, would be pushing to get it out first, and then worry about the sequels. You should publish it when you're ready to, and when the book is ready. (I'll certainly be ready to read it--anything with dragons!)

    Best of wishes in your writing, college, and finding a balance between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, your covers are gorgeous (especially RoaL)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for you! It's sad that CoaL and RoaL won't be published for a while because I have been dying to read them ever since I heard about them.

    I'll LOVE to read SotHT and help promote it (I might even try helping with the editing).
    God bless you as you start out on this adventure.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your comments, ladies! They really mean a lot to me! :D

    ReplyDelete