Friday, February 1, 2019

January 2019 Book Haul

When shopping (especially at thrift stores), it is a truth universally acknowledged by all bibliophiles that it is impossible to walk away without purchasing at least ONE book.

Since I have a little girl who's growing and plowing through clothing like it went out of style (and size) yesterday, I find myself more and more at Goodwills and the like, looking through racks of little pink onesies and purple pants and polka dotted sleepers and frilly dresses. I love it. When you have a small wallet and your daughter outgrows everything so fast, I love finding those bargains at thrift stores/resale shops that only ask upwards of $2-3 for something your child will wear for about a month before it's too small.

BUT I'm a bibliophile to the core. So is my husband. Thus, when shopping for daughter clothes, we ALWAYS derail from our purpose and look through all the books for sale. My favorite thrift store in town (conveniently located about five minutes from my house) sells paperbacks for $.50. FIFTY CENTS! If that's not a steal, I don't know what is. And you can get a hardback for $1.00. And children's books for $.25. #musictomyears #needmorebookshelves

So, like every other bibliophile online, I've decided to brag, er, share my monthly finds with you. I may sometimes have a new book that I actually bought for reals, brand new (that doesn't happen often when you're a full-time parent working from home trying to pay off student loans), but typically any monthly book haul I post is going to be majorly thrift store/resale shop finds. I think I have an unhealthy addiction to secondhand books. You just never know what treasures you'll find on those Goodwill shelves, I'm telling you.



(Note: my iPad camera has terrible quality, and my daughter lost my phone, so please excuse the blurry pictures. I did the best that I could.)

~*~

The Comedy of Errors // Shakespeare
I've been slowly adding to my collection of Shakespeare's works. Not that I've read many of them yet, but I've convinced myself I will -- once I've completed the collection.

~*~

Streams to the River, River to the Sea // Scott O'Dell
I don't actually know that I've read anything by Scott O'Dell. He's a pretty famous writer, most notably of Island of the Blue Dolphins, which I'll read one day, I promise. This, however, is a historical novel about Sacajawea. I thought it looked cool.

~*~

The Wishsong of Shannara 
The Druids of Shannara
The Elf Queen of Shannara
The Talismans of Shannara // Terry Brooks
Not one, not two, but FOUR Terry Brooks books. I read one of his Shannara trilogies, like, 10 years ago, and being the fantasy buff that I am, I need to change that. Especially since he's the guest of honor at this year's Realm Makers. #wishicouldgo

~*~

Guardians of Ga'Hoole: The Capture // Kathryn Lasky
I remember watching the film version of this a long time ago, and finding the paperback first volume, thought I'd give it a chance. Besides, the main character's/owl's name is Soren, and I really like that name.

~*~

The Shakespeare Stealer // Gary L. Blackwood 
I know absolutely nothing about this book, but thought it looked too amazing to stay on the shelf. I mean, c'mon, someone who tries to STEAL from Shakespeare? If that's not a grabbing title, I don't know what is. (Update: Just looked this one up on Goodreads, and apparently, it's a trilogy.)

~*~

The Outlaws of Sherwood // Robin McKinley
I've read Beauty by this author and enjoyed it. And since I'm gaining a bigger interest in the legends and retellings of Robin Hood, I decided I needed this one.

~*~

The Count of Monte Cristo // Alexandre Dumas
This was probably my second most favorite find of the month! I've wanted to read this classic for AGES, but couldn't bring myself to jump into a library copy or *le gasp* an ebook version. There's just something wonderful about reading a thick book in physical form. Super stoked about this find. Wow.

~*~

Elsie's Impossible Choice (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore) // Martha Finley
One of my absolute favorite series growing up. I read every Life of Faith book I could get my hands on. Upwards of five times (Mille, though, I probably read closer to ten times). This is one series I really want to share with my kids, and I was so happy to find this second book to sit companionably next to the first book on my shelf. #sixmoretofind

~*~

The Prophet of Yonwood (Book of Ember) // Jeanne DuPrau 
My sisters and I got into the City of Ember books shortly after the film came out. I don't remember much of the books, but I'm looking forward to re-reading them one day.

~*~

North! Or Be Eaten (Wingfeather Saga) // Andrew Peterson 
BEST FIND OF THE MONTH! I am forever grateful to the person who donated their Wingfeather books to my local thrift store. I found On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness there a few months ago, and lo and behold, there was the second waiting for me this month. I WAS SO FLOORED. I mean, who gets rid of these books??? I'm happy they did, but I still couldn't believe it. This is an amazing series. Can't gush enough.

~*~

Well, that's it for January, folks! 13 books in total for me, if you don't include the odd stack of children's books that I'm collecting for my daughter. Also, kids' books are too much fun. I'm obsessed with board books, seriously.

Anyway, what books did you add to your shelves last month? Have you read any of the ones I listed above? Let me know in the comments!

God bless!

4 comments:

  1. AHHHHHHHHHHH YOU FOUND THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO AND NORTH OR BE EATEN?? :D :D *dies* They're so good. And Guardians of Ga'Hoole is great. just as good as the movie. North Or Be Eaten though. So good. That's actually where I found my username XD. Goodwill for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaasss!! I LOVE thrift shopping. Especially--well, mostly--for books and movies. You just can't beat it. :D

    Ooh, an unabridged copy of Monte Cristo?! Score! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a haul! Always love it when I find cheap books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are fun! I love second hand books.

    ReplyDelete