Monday, February 11, 2013

Far Longer Than Forever

With Valentine's Day being just around the corner, my thoughts concerning music have been turned more or less in the direction of love songs, and today when I saw that Meghan of Just As I Am was asking for some of our favorite love songs for part of her Single Ladies Blog Party... well, you know that I couldn't pass this one up. So, I'm posting.



All I Ask Of You
How is any list of love songs complete without the classic tune from The Phantom of the Opera? How much do I like this song? Well, let's just say that I have it entirely memorized on the piano, and leave it at that.

Are We Dancing?
This song is from one of my favorite movies The Happiest Millionaire. The tune is simple but elegant.

Beauty and the Beast
One of Disney's best songs, in my opinion. 

Cheek To Cheek
I have no idea what movie this song is from, but it's a fun song by Irving Berlin.

Far Longer Than Forever
From The Swan Princess. And yes, I am a fan of cheesy, little girl movies. How can I help it, when they have such beautiful music?

A Fine Romance
Ah, ha! Just my idea of a romance! Love the lyrics in this song!

Fireproof: Main Titles
Umm... instrumental pieces count, right? Even though my family doesn't listen to most of the music in Fireproof, the main titles are soft and hauntingly beautiful.

How Can Love Survive?
This fun song is from the Broadway version of The Sound of Music. Very epic.

I See the Light
Yup. From Tangled. 

If I Can't Love Her
From Beauty and the Beast: The Broadway Musical. This song isn't included in the Disney film, but it really lends a lot to the character of the Beast.

If You Love Me For Me
Not so well-known song from Barbie as The Princess and the Pauper, yet beautiful in its own right.

Let Me Be Your Wings
I told you I liked cheesy, little girl movies, yes? Well, this is Thumbelina's love song.

The Princess Bride: Main Titles
Another instrumental. You should know this one.

Romantic Flight
Instrumental from HTTYD. I'm actually listening to it right now.

That's Amorè
I've only ever heard this one as it is sung on the Enchanted soundtrack. Oh, course, I change the words a bit: "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amorè. When the world seems to glow like there's way too much snow, that's amorè."

Thinking About Lizzy
Instrumental from Pride and Prejudice (1995). 

Throw the Coins
Instrumental from Sense and Sensibility (1995).

True Love's Kiss
Another one from Enchanted. No, I don't agree with the prevalent philosophy the lyrics promote, but it's a cute song, nonetheless.

I enjoy listening to all of these songs, and I'm sure most or some of you know them and enjoy them as well. But this isn't real love, people! This is what the world defines as love, the smushy, mushy, happy-feeling, pink heart, velvet roses kind of love. There is a greater love that most of us brush aside during this season of Valentines. What love is that? If you don't already know, I'm going to add one more favorite love song to my list. Do me a favor: read the lyrics and identify the real love.

“His robes for mine: O wonderful exchange!

Clothed in my sin, Christ suffered ‘neath God’s rage.
Draped in His righteousness, I’m justified.
In Christ I live, for in my place He died.

Chorus:
“I cling to Christ, and marvel at the cost:

Jesus forsaken, God estranged from God.
Bought by such love, my life is not my own.
My praise-my all-shall be for Christ alone.

“His robes for mine: what cause have I for dread?

God’s daunting Law Christ mastered in my stead.
Faultless I stand with righteous works not mine,
Saved by my Lord’s vicarious death and life.

“His robes for mine: God’s justice is appeased.

Jesus is crushed, and thus the Father’s pleased.
Christ drank God’s wrath on sin, then cried “‘Tis done!”
Sin’s wage is paid; propitiation won.

“His robes for mine: such anguish none can know.
Christ, God’s beloved, condemned as though His foe.
He, as though I, accursed and left alone;
I, as though He, embraced and welcomed home!”

That's real love.

God bless!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, gral! I love your song lists! I popped on over via the link-up on Meghan's blog. If I was writing a list like this, "I See the Light" & "Beauty & the Beast" would most likely be on it! Cheers, lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend who love the Check to Check song. I think my favourite love song is I See the Light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cheesy, little girl movies! Beauty and the Beast and The Princess and the Pauper are two of my absolute favorites! And Tangled IS my favorite. I listen to "I See the Light" constantly.

    This list is fantastic. And I love the message you have at the end. I fear a lot of people forget what TRUE love is.

    Hope you have a lovely Valentine's. ^_^

    ReplyDelete