Friday, March 1, 2019

February 2019 Book Haul

Happy March! Can you believe we're already into the third month of the year?? 2019 is flying by.

Well, since we're finished with February, you know what's up next: Book Haul Post! February was a slow month, shopping-wise, so I don't have nearly the impressive haul that I did last month. But I did manage to snag a few books passing quickly through my local thrift stores.


~*~

Kilmeny of the Orchard by L.M. Montgomery 

I think I may have read my mom's copy of this book years ago, but I can't exactly remember. Every time I read the synopsis for this book, I'm reminded of the Little Mermaid in a sense. Even though this is strictly NOT a fairytale retelling, you can't help but draw the similarities between Kilmeny and Ariel: both beautiful, both mute -- though the latter for very different reasons. Still, a sweet story, and a must-have for any respectable Montgomery collection.

~*~

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

Last month I scored on a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo, and this month I was excited to find this little gem. I've not read any Dumas YET but I fully intend to, and now the debate is whether to start with the Count or the Musketeers. That, m'dears, is the question.

~*~

The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book #11) by Lemony Snicket 

Can you believe that I've never read ANY Lemony Snicket? I keep seeing books from the Series of Unfortunate Events in thrift stores, and I never thought to pick one up until this month. Me, lover of comedy and good stories, ignoring Lemony Snicket. *shakes head* Now I just have to find the first ten books so I can read this one.

~*~

Everland by Wendy Spinale 

This was a brand-new book for me. Not purchased new, since it was a Goodwill find, but new in the sense that I've never heard of it before. It's a Peter Pan story set in steampunk-ish/dystopian-esque WWII London era. I flipped through it quickly this morning and discovered that it's written in present tense (not my favorite to read, if I'm entirely honest), but the premise looks intriguing. Plus, I've not read any Peter Pan stories other than the original and Peter Pan in Scarlet (which was pretty amazing, I must say), and if I'm to say I'm any fan of the infamous crowing lad who flies, I must branch out.

~*~


What about you? Have you read any of the books I mentioned above? What new books did you add to your shelves this month? I'd love to know in the comments!

God bless!

4 comments:

  1. Fun book haul! I recently got a Kindle copy of Kilmeny of the Orchard, and I'm really excited to read it and to experience more of L.M. Montgomery's writing! I'm also hosting a read-along for Emily of New Moon on my blog this month, so I'm looking forward to that. :) (This will be my first time reading that one, as well!)

    Hope you have a great reading month! (Also, your reaction choices at the bottom of your post with their nod to Emma are so great. :D)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo, Everland looks intriguing. Kilmeny of the Orchard was a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Theee Musketeers! It was hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Lemony Snickets books so much!

    ReplyDelete